This is the best traditional Spanakopita Recipe – Greek spinach pie, is a popular Greek dish that is loved by many. This delicious and versatile dish is great for any time of day. It can be used as a main dish or starter, or even as a midday snack. This authentic spanakopita recipe is easy to follow and will help you recreate this delicious vegetarian delight.
- 3 tablespoons olive oils
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 bunch chopped green onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds spinach, rinsed.
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup crumbled Feta cheese
- 8 sheets of phyllo dough
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Step 1
Preheat the oven to 350°F (175° C).
- Step 2
In a large saucepan, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Sauté onion, green onions, and garlic until softened and lightly browned. Continue to saute spinach and parsley until the spinach becomes limp (about 2 minutes). Set aside to cool.
- Step 3
Mix eggs, ricotta and feta in a large bowl. Stir in spinach mixture. Place 1 sheet of phyllo dough on a prepared baking pan and lightly brush with olive oil. Place another sheet of phyllo on top. Brush with olive oil and then repeat the process with two additional sheets. They will cover the pan.
Place the cheese and spinach mixture in a pan. Fold the overhanging dough to cover the filling. After brushing with oil, spread the remaining four sheets of phyllo dough on top. To seal the filling, place dough overhanging in a pan.
- Step 4
Bake for about 30-40 minutes in a preheated pan until golden brown. Slice into small squares and serve hot.
Tips For The Perfect Spanakopita Recipe
- This recipe is best made with fresh spinach. If you prefer frozen spinach, make sure you thaw spinach before you squeeze out the excess water.
- To ensure that the spinach is not watery, squeeze as much liquid out as you can. To squeeze the liquid out of the cooked spinach, I use a potato ricer. You can also use your hands to collect the spinach and wring it out with a kitchen towel.
- Pre-crumbled cheeses are often coated with preservatives and anti-caking agents, which can make the flavor of the block less appealing.
- Make sure you lightly brush butter on your pastry. Do not add too much butter to your spanakopita, as it can become greasy.
- You can find Phyllo dough in most grocery stores’ freezer sections. You will need to thaw the dough before you can use it.
Greek Spinach Pie is so amazing. We hope that you will know how to make a Spanakopita after reading this article. In addition, we also share a lot of other kitchen tips and recipes on our website, you can learn more.
Thank you for taking the time to read this article.